It is no secret that there are some pretty serious perks of working in the entertainment industry. One of the biggest perks of this industry being able to work internationally. This may be all flowers and rainbows for an adult; to be classed as a jet setter, bragging on Snapchat and Instagram about the cool place you get to go next or what you’re up to today. For a kid model, however, there are other factors to consider. There is the obvious, will the parents be available to take them, if they work can they get the time off, etc. However, there are several factors that need also to be considered.
You’re going on a holiday!
There are some major benefits of working overseas. The most obvious reason being that your child, will get to experience what can feel like a whole new world. Soak up the culture, try new foods, buy eccentric things, and experience a completely different climate. Generally speaking, the client will pay for the child plus one parent’s flights and accommodation. They usually also receive a daily amount of money each day to spend on food and other incidentals, or food will be provided for them. Keeping in mind each client is different!
You’re gaining even more experience!
- Getting cast for something is great for so many reasons:
- Your child gets to make some pocket money or start an early savings account
- They are doing what they love
- They get to meet new kids in the industry who could potentially end up being life-long friends
- They have an opportunity to get some insight into the industry and gain real-life experience on set.
- Most importantly, they get to have fun!
All these things all still happen when you work overseas, but it adds some even cooler perks:
- Pen pals! If there are other kids on set, they may not have come from the same place you did. With the way social media and the internet has taken over, there are ample ways for the kids to keep in touch and stay updated on each other’s lives.
- Even more experience, not many kids can say that they were flown to another country for a photo shoot. This not only builds their professionalism on set, but it also allows them to understand diversity and learn how to adapt to different situations.
- Exposure is a massive perk of international work. If your image or TVC is going to be aired overseas, it widens your child’s demographic in the industry, while also increasing their reach in future potential work.
It’s not all shopping and sunshine.
At the end of the day, you are not in a different country purely for a holiday. Whilst you may have scored some time off work to get there, you are still required to be present the whole time your child is on set. Technically, you could almost think of it as a business trip for you and your child. Depending on what the job is will depict the length of stay at the chosen location. For example, one of our talent, Brodie, filmed a TVC in Malaysia, where he stayed for 5 days. On the contrary, another child of Bettina Management, Phoebe, went to Bali and only stayed 2 days for her shoot.
But what an experience!
While you should treat these opportunities as a working holiday, they will provide amazing memories for your family and is an incredible experience for your child. We have had lots of children travel overseas to work for amazing brands and the feedback is always glowing! So make sure you are prepared but most of all, enjoy the experience.